Saturday 2 December 2023

The North Wind Doth Blow.........

 
....... and we shall have snow
And what will poor Robin do then poor thing? 

Hubby has a rotten head cold now, well it is that time of year, and thankfully not too awful but all the coughing and sneezing is annoying him, and it also meant Son postponed a visit from this weekend (the first Saturday I'm writing this) to next weekend (that's the Saturday I publish this, confusing isn't it). 

All my cards are now written. They were all over the dining room table so coffee morning Monday was a great incentive to get them done rather than move them all elsewhere. Now the task of gift shopping, I'm sure you've heard me say lots of times how I hate shopping (even online shopping) and gift shopping is the worst. I love all the people I buy for so can't just gift them any old thing, however the older family and friends have everything they need already and the younger ones get money but need something to unwrap on the day, so not expensive but not tat either! 

I've done a lot of sitting and surfing online, shopping and ordering. Meanwhile, because Hubby has a cold and only doing a little garden leaf gathering to fill the brown bin that goes out this week, he's mostly watched the snooker, I'm amazed it doesn't send him to sleep! 

Been getting colder each day this week and Friday we woke to snow! 
Makes me so grateful to be retired and no early morning car windscreen scraping and driving on icy roads. 

Bit of a problem when the Orwell Bridge was closed because one of the overnight maintenence vehicles broke down and blocked the bridge all day. In Ipswich if the bridge closes the whole town's roads seem to go into gridlock. We had the dog all day and O needed picking up from the station late afternoon, so that was Hubby's job, then take O and the dog home to their house, however poor O was left waiting in the cold cos Hubby got stuck in a traffic jam with a phone that refused to work, making the six minute journey into 45 minutes and O going through me to make contact and relay back what's happening! 

Hubby's cold is still bad and he's done two covid tests five days apart and both negative, but as Son's immune system is so bad they've postponed again for another week. 

OK enough blogging, back to the online shopping as I'm barely half way. 
Stay warm everyone.
.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I similarly loathe buying presents. Nobody needs anything. It is a huge amount of stress. So I declared no presents this year. I just don't want to do it anymore. We've gone around the house and found books/games/consumables/clothes that are unread/unplayed/unopened and unworn. So we will have things to open. And we commit to starting to read them/play them/open and consume some of them and wear them.

I am this year really looking forward to Christmas. No stressful run up to it at all.

Plus today I learned that although I am starting a new job (days are Weds/Thursday) and had expected to work that Weds/Thurs between Xmas and New Year, I am being given the time off :-).

Michelle said...

https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2009/11/is-it-time-to-ban-christmas-presents/?_ga=2.245111107.731193134.1701723428-2048404037.1701723428&_gl=1*1r9p9hj*_ga*MjA0ODQwNDAzNy4xNzAxNzIzNDI4*_ga_X74CWQS9F0*MTcwMTcyMzQyNy4xLjAuMTcwMTcyMzQyOC42MC4wLjA.

Michelle said...

I would much rather spend any monies we might have on replacing the bathroom that has a non functioning loo and bath with a crack in it. Or skirting boards for the hallway after a flood ruined the ones that had been there. But instead year after year I am buying gifts for people that don't need anything and then receiving a lot of stuff in return that I don't need, much of which gets taken to the charity shop in January. The consumerism of it all, the waste of money and resources, really upsets me. So this year I've stopped.

I've been told I'm a misery.

The grinch is alive and well!

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Hard to change some long standing traditions, but lovely when you all agree on a new plan if action.
BTW that link didn't work.