Saturday 2 May 2020

All Together in Isolation (part seven)........


Saturday 25th April, and I can't believe the time is whizzing by, I really thought lockdown would drag but it hasn't.

The pump for the water feature arrived and Saturday had Hubby mostly in this position
 Took him most of the day, fighting with stuck cables, finally fixed.

Opened the chicken thighs to cook our Sunday roast and we both noticed an odd smell, so double wrapped and straight in the bin. Far too late to thaw anything else so it was roast potatoes, cabbage, beetroot and fish fingers! Hahaha

Late Sunday evening relaxing watching TV, my bulky knitting keeping my legs warm, jacket about 3/4 done THEN THE ***** NEEDLE BROKE! That's the red cable on the floor parted from the bamboo end ggrrrrr. I managed to stop swearing long enough to pick up the dropped stitches and transfer them all to another circular needle but it's the wrong size so I can't carry on yet. Instantly online and now I need to patiently wait for the delivery by post.

I've been enjoying channel 4's extra "stay home" programmes.
- Jamie Oliver did a daily series of Keep Cooking and Carry On. Some recipes from his archives but mostly at home filmed on a mobile phone by his wife Jools and often the children joined in, cooking or filming or the little one coming in to lick a bowl.
- Kirsty Allsopp is doing a daily Keep Crafting and Carry On. She had two film crew and keeps showing how they are sticking to safe distance rules. All at her home with an occasional help from one of her children, plus she's also added in some archive footage.
- Grayson Perry Art Club, with special guests by video link, is a weekly one. He's asking for viewers to submit their art and when we're all free to roam again he's putting on an exhibition to mark the history of "what we did in lockdown".
On that same theme, granddaughter E is also curating her own online art exhibition and is asking for a photograph of submissions created in any medium. She'd love you to get involved.

I was trying to avoid the main subject and just focus the blog on us, but of course it can't be ignored as that's the reason for us living this isolated life I'm writing about, so having to look at the whole situation we're in for a while, I've realised that my opinions are not always the same as others, so I'm largely keeping them to myself.
Of course I'm horrified and scared by it all. It's the unseen germ world war and we have to trust all those now pushed to the front line to protect and care for us all.
However I also want to be understanding of government decisions, to be both radical for our physical wellbeing and lenient for our mental wellbeing. They also need to consider the country's economy and they seem almost to be printing money and giving out grants in enormous amounts. Though so many do I wouldn't criticise as I'd certainly not want their jobs.
Social media gets angry if they see people with children playing in the park, but they may not have a garden, and people got angry when there were pictures of those queueing at B&Q saying DIY and garden plants are not essential, but from what I saw they were practising safe distancing rules so why is that more risky than being in the supermarket. I replied on one post that home maintenance could be essential as some homes may be suffering from the extra use. Also plants and gardening may be someone's only way of coping with loneliness. I was told it was not essential and not allowed.
Perhaps for some getting angry at everyone else is their way of coping.
I'll stay quiet and bake more flapjacks

Talking to my brother earlier in the week and mentioning a very useful Jewish cooking ingredient I couldn't get here, (my late sister had always been my supplier), he bought and posted two packets of matzo meal, how lovely, thanks bro!

Replacement knitting needles arrived yaay!
We improved our score for the Virtual pub quiz with Daughter&co this week!
Been enough dry weather for us to keep our walking round the garden although it's been quite cold some days.
Had a few sunny moments to allow a cuppa by the pond.
And enough rain to save Hubby having to water especially as he's put some new seeds in.

Stay safe everyone.
.





5 comments:

Michelle said...

Hope he wasn't too achy afterwards with his back. And sad about the chicken and the needle. At least you still ate and mail order exists.

Must submit something to E.

I agree with your thoughts about the lockdown/virus/ As you know I am still working so connecting more households than I am really happy about BUT I take extensive precautions and am very aware of the contact chain. At least I drive door to door, not using public transport. I also use the village shop and supermarkets. I don't see why more businesses couldn't be open. Florists for example can limit the numbers in a shop and they hardly have a huge footprint ordinarily. I know some are still open for deliveries. Supermarkets can sell bouquets and garden things but garden centres cannot open unless they are also a food outlet/farm shop. Our Waitrose expanded its garden department into its cafe area and has done remarkably well out of the garden centre closures. I'm sure there are lots of businesses that could safely continue to retail.

Plants and gardening is therapy for so many folks. Making your dwelling more pleasant to spend time in would also benefit mental health so yes, keep DIY sheds open.

Obviously all with the social distancing and hygiene/safety at front of mind.

Keep baking :-).

I have had a large glass of wine with lunch (cod parcels with pesto and parma ham served with basmati and wild rice). This was enabled by James Veitch so not really at my own instigation :-D.

https://youtu.be/ejWfGFvzpKg (James Veitch's Lockdown Video (almost 10 mins in total)

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Can you imagine if alcohol was off limits as non essential hahaha

Michelle said...

It is in the Philippines! My poor Dad!

Michelle said...

Failed to submit anything to E :-(.

MumB / @mumbosh said...

I'm sure if you sent something now it will still be ok.