Saturday 29 July 2023

Varied Celebrations.......

 
Our usual group of Wednesday friends are only called that historically/hysterically although we do meet lots of other days too and holiday together and have had coach trips and day trips etc together and always try to mark each other's birthdays. Next month I have a big birthday and FriendM wanted to book us something to look forward to for as soon as she gets back from her holiday. Juggling everyone's commitments and preferences and following a suggestion I had from another friend we looked at our nearest Warner Hotel, they are adult only with meals and entertainment included. It then got really difficult for FriendM as her telephone enquiry during the week gave her a variety of details but it was Saturday evening when she'd heard back from the others and had the chance to go online and there were alternative details she hadn't been told about. We spent late in to the evening with her online and with each other on WhatsApp trying to sort each problem, the website wouldn't let her book three rooms at the same time then trying again it did, she was getting through to the payment bit and the site crashed, it didn't like form filling on her phone so she went off to find her ipad (pinched by her grandson) eventually and needing to use a different bank card it was a success. By this time it's about 11:40pm. She's very determined. I went straight on to my bank app to do a transfer to her but my bank were doing overnight maintenance! Things are rarely easy eh? 

Have you ever started explaining something then realised you shouldn't as it might spoil a surprise? I was going to tell you that I'd had an idea to make something as a gift, so I gathered the materials but ran out of space, so I brought it all downstairs from my craft room, got Hubby to carry down the heavy stuff and the sewing machine and rearranged furniture to set up a work station in the office. 
Half way through the second day I changed my mind and Hubby helped me put it all away again. So nothing much to tell really. 

Son and fiancé are finally nearing completion of their home rebuild and this week the ground floor floor is being leveled and made beautiful, it needs time to dry thoroughly so they moved in here with their dog of course. 

Another funeral this week for our dear friendTK of 40 years. His wife, one of my closest friends KK is often a Funeral Celebrant so bravely chose to conduct the service herself. As a very experienced public speaker she held it together really well and managed to squash his 76 varied, wild and interesting years into half an hour. Afterwards we were all treated to a true celebration of his life, with family and lots of us old friends swapping stories. FriendTK was an artist making it his full time occupation soon after I got to know him, so for my Art A level I asked him if I could do my personal study on him and he was honoured and gave me all the time and help I needed. This was a bit sneeky on my part as working on a famous dead artist (like the other students) would have meant the examiners would instantly know if I'd got things wrong or they already had strong preferences. 
This is the front cover, it's his name I did in signature art. 
And this was my portrait of him.
After my A Level pass I gave the study to him as a gift. When my friend said he'd died I cheekily asked if I could have it as it was full of memories of us working on it together. I was honoured his family had it on display at the celebration for all to look at and when Hubby, Son and I left it came with us. 

A catchup lunch with friendM was lovely and my bonus was she paid as part of my birthday present. I was supposed to receive the rest of my present at the same time but having been organised enough to get it all wrapped and ready in her rush to leave the house, as she was running late anyway, she left it in her hallway so she made an extra trip the next day and delivered it while she was frantically rushing somewhere else.  

I've already bought tickets for 15th August but was so pleased to be given a press night seat on 28th July and it was with Daughter, O, Son and Fiancé. Yes R is busy again all summer in this year's Red Rose Chain's Theatre in the Forest. 
A fantastic cast of eight, becoming about 18 characters plus a life size puppet operated so well that he makes you laugh when he plays and mourn at his death. 
Their first night they had very heavy rain but carried on anyway, thankfully for us it got a little chilly but stayed dry.
I'll give no more spoilers as it runs till 26th August so you've plenty of time to see it for yourself. 
Meanwhile if you want a challenge you can look for Daughter, Son, Fiancé, O and me in this audience. 

No comments: