Saturday 5 September 2020

And What Happened Next.....

 

There's been more discussion with friendM about our October holiday in Spain. Originally three couples going again to friendM's apartment in April so bargain flights booked with Easyjet, then lockdown had us transfer the flights to October (had to pay a bit extra) and now Easyjet have stopped flying from Southend and Stansted so friendM has applied for a refund. She will book flights with Ryanair but I've suggested we wait till nearer the time. FriendsT&F have cancelled completely as they don't feel safe travelling anywhere yet and although friendM has holidayed there in July on her own and again in August with her partnerP and feels safe enough I'm still a little undecided as we watch the COVID numbers rising in parts of Spain! This needs closer monitoring and serious thinking about. 

A downward change in the weather, cold, wet and windy. Of course the new plants are enjoying the wet. Son visited Saturday morning and Daughter and R came over Saturday afternoon and both times we had to sit inside. Thankfully our dining room is big enough for us to sit more than far enough apart. Our heating even went on for a brief "take the chill off" hour! 

And actually there was nothing else worth writing about this week, it's all been the usual plodding along. Weather watching for getting bits of gardening done and pegging out washing and I've had a bit of a project to get done quickly which I'll tell you about next week. 

So for now I'll show you the new plants all looking quite happy planted out. 
Fingers crossed they fill out the spaces. 





And some round the pond paving to fill the gaps. Strange photo makes the water look like shiny black treacle 🤣
Plus there's more grass seed down and covered to try to help our horrid patchy lawn.

Till next week then TTFN.

.



4 comments:

Michelle said...

Thus inspired I have planted out one of the blue fescues (pleased to do so as discovered it was root bound and difficult to remove from its pot although it looked happy enough). Then dug up the poorly looking one and potted that only to find a vine weevil grr. So now need to vigilant to check. Will probably dig up the adjacent strawberry plant as apparently vine weevils like them and as it is poorly producing strawberry fruit I think it and its runners can come up.

I wouldn't worry so much about being in Spain but certainly would about the flying there and back. I'd consider driving with a cabin for the journey on the Santander ferry to minimise exposure. Expensive though!

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Yes it's only the journey that concerns me, but so far my friend has said airports and planes have been quite empty. I would be very reluctant to make my own way because the journey would take so much longer and include stops with the need to use unknown facilities eh route etc... I'd rather not go till I felt happier.

Michelle said...

investigation under the poorly looking one showed it is in poor dry soil. There is a lot of rubble in there and two sides are concrete. I've done my best but it will alway be more of a pot in the ground than able to spread its roots out. I will need to think about watering that area more frequently though. Anyway, a bit of a move around and now the bit I don't like so much - clearing up!

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Fingers crossed the poorly one improves. Maybe if there is a little space to poke a plastic tube of some sort, so watering will take some straight down to the roots?