Saturday 8 January 2022

Memories Made.......

 
Hubby started 2022 with a new year bike ride. It's mild and dry and perfect weather for motorbikes. He thinks there were about 20 of them in convoy up to the north Norfolk coast to have a good walk along the beach looking for the sea but the tide was right out, then the two hour-ish ride home again. 

Before we put all the decorations away for another year I wanted to share a few memories. We rarely buy anything new as for me it's a time for tradition, for reassurance that life in this family will always be familiar, comfortable and reliable. Nearly everything has a back story and so many people have added to it. 
E, as a young teen, had bought us all Santa hats, so I made a hat rack, where they have to double up. One of them got covered as a reversable santa/elf hat for Daughter to perform in.  
R made this 3D snowman picture for us as a present when she was about four I think. I love it. 
I made lots of these Santa teddies when I was doing craft fairs probably about 40 years ago. The bears were all made from an old camel coat, the red fabric was a skirt and the wool trim was an undone old scarf I'd found at a jumble sale. 
At evening classes, about 25 years ago, I learned "bead needle weaving" used mainly for jewelry plus the teacher showed us a few tree ornaments. I made a sparkly fairy and a Christmas tree, although the tree is supposed to gradually get wider and wider, hahaha I got it wrong but still love it and it goes on the tree every year. 
When R and E were about three or four they painted these paper frames that go onto the lights. As they are paper we have had a few tear but will treasure the rest for as long as I can. 

Daughter had a birthday and they all came for lunch and candled cake.

While up in the loft Hubby found a small carrier bag with some old photos. Amongst them were these two from my youth club days, both 1969.

Yes that's me bouncing. 
This was a musical play about the suffragettes and I was Christabel Pankhurst, far left. 
I put them both onto the youth club Facebook page and there has been lots of great conversations about them and the people in them. 

While we are still a bit restricted from making new memories it's good to remember some old ones. 
Have a good week. 
.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love the stories behind your christmas decorations. I love seeing ours for similar memories.

We did buy new lights this year for the front room windows and outside around the porch. Porch lights needed replacing as so many gone. Windows 'curtain' lights are new and we've loved them.

Porch lights still up as we deem them winter lights :-).

FB is a really good place for folks o share memories with others, now probably scattered all over the globe, who had also been there back then. I see it on our local groups when folks reminisce about some long ago picturedrome or pub. It's nice to see old pictures and read their memories.

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Winter lights sound magical and perfect for cheering up grey days. We will have to buy some new lights next year as twovery old sets failed just before we were taking them down. Definitely worth sharing memories before they get lost.