Saturday 25 July 2020

I'm Still Shielding (week 19).......


Saturday 18th July
 Lovely weather today, not too hot, and we fed the fish about 2:30pm and watched them while we ate strawberries and cream! Very pleasant.

Another now wearable item. This cardigan had taken me ages to knit and it was not comfortable to wear. I'd made up the pattern myself and obviously included some errors as the collar had never laid down and the sleeves were far too wide. So I bravely machine zigzag altered the sleeves and a full seam down the back and cut off the excess (praying it wouldn't fray). Finally taming the collar into a roll and sewed it in place. Feels so much better.

We are both trying to get back into walking round the garden, as I've almost run out of excuses😉 Hubby is on the go all day anyway but I seem to have lots of sitting down jobs. So 18 laps equals about 1.7 miles.

I'm still not going out anywhere but thought I'd make a few masks, trying a couple of different patterns, as I'm sure we'll be needing them for a long while to come.
We both prefer shaped ones (rather than pleated) as they come up the nose more without wire, essential as we are both glasses wearers and this avoids the steaming up. Also I've found strips of Tshirt for around the ears more comfortable than elastic although we'll need to wear them to find out if it's effective enough.

A regular part of our week is quiz night, which we play on YouTube while combining as one team with our Daughter&co on zoom.
This week was a triple zoom screen event with me and Hubby in our house, Daughter's family split with the three girls at their house and the three boys at the club (isn't technology amazing). So even having to cope with the  timing issues of YouTube questions delays, especially tricky on the audio round, we got our best collaborative score yet of 47 out of 50!

Talking of quizzes, we like quite a few of tv quizzes as easy watching time fillers and I'm sure they help keep the brain active. What makes us laugh is how often the same question comes up in a different quiz on the same day we watch, not only are they all recorded sometimes years apart but we often watch in our own catchup time. Well today was even more coincidental, we saw the same contestant in two programs on the same day!


Nothing much else to report on really, nothing bad has happened so that's always a good thing!
See you next week then. Take good care of  yourselves.
.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I've been playing with scarves and old swim suit boob inserts my mother included in a sack of things she didn't want anymore for me to sort through to keep, charity shop, put in rag bag or reuse. I'm mainly wanting back up face coverings to keep in the car as I'm very likely to forget sometimes to have one with me. If after all this time I can still manage to go shopping without bringing bags I think masks/face coverings will be as likely to be left at home, so back up options kept in the glove box seems a good idea. I don't like the masks that fit around the ears so trying alternative fixing solutions.

I think masks/face coverings are essential in high density situations but personally I will continue to seek to avoid those situations. I'm a little concerned that people will feel safer in masks so will get nearer to me than they have over the past few months. Hmm. Fortunately my schedule does generally allow me to shop at unpopular times, others I know don't have that luxury.

Clever with the knitwear. Well done on the quiz! C&I seemed to have stopped doing that as life got busier elsewhere.

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Definitely a good idea to keep masks and shopping bags in the car, we do.
Scarves also seem a suitable option if you're not in a close up situation for long, I would imagine slippage would make me fiddle with it too much.

Michelle said...

I fix the scarf with a crocodile hair clip with my hair up as otherwise it would slip. I don't want to be in a close up situation at all and won't intentionally be so. I'm really worried people will get closer to me than they have because the perception is face coverings mean it is safer to be closer and I just want everyone to keep away as they have done.

The bags are supposed to be kept in the car but they get used and brought in and especially now as we are leaving bags unless chilled/frozen for a few days they don't get put back in the car. Eventually the bag of bags in the car is no more and all has to be put loose from the trolley into the car!

MumB / @mumbosh said...

I'm not sure masks do make others more reckless, I think it's easier to forget the problem when things look normal and seeing everyone in masks is a constant reminder there's still an invisible problem.
As for bags we have the hall shelf system, so as soon as something needs to leave the house with us next time it goes on the hall shelf, doesn't always work and trickier when you need to ignore items long enough for germs to get fed up and leave!

Michelle said...

I was trying not to admit it but I was more reckless :-(. I horrified myself. At the supermarket I wanted garlic and just reached across the shop floor employee who was restocking that area of shelving. I don't think I've done that before and felt awful. I think the face covering made me feel as I was behind an actual barrier. Normally I would have asked and stayed back. It's made me more anxious. I liked some people wearing masks as the reminder, that's true, but think my behaviour changed. Im back at the supermarket tomorrow and will try to be more cautious.