Sunday 9 April 2017

Theatre: Tommy........


The New Wolsey Theatre Ipswich in co-production with Ramps on the Moon.

Music and Lyrics by Pete Townshend
Book by Pete Townshend and Des McAnuff
Additional Music and Lyrics by John Entwistle and Keith Moon

Based on the iconic 1969 concept album, The Who's TOMMY is the multi-award winning epic rock musical written by Pete Townshend.

With a cast of 22 performers and musicians, this is the story of the pinball-playing boy which has entertained and intrigued audiences for more than 40 years. A one-of-a-kind theatrical event!

Tommy will feature a creative use of audio description, captioning and British Sign Language interpretation which will enhance the experience for everyone. It is the second touring production made in association with Ramps on the Moon – a consortium of theatres across the UK that are committed to driving change in their organisations. For more information, visit www.rampsonthemoon.co.uk



===============================================================

Wow the music was constant rock-n-roll and loud and so was the story. Great musicians and some wonderful voices. Tragic and thought provoking story enough at times to make me cry a little. This was written in my era and I can't believe I've not seen it before.

This performance had the most amazing cast of mostly disabled actors and for Tommy to be played by a deaf actor made the story of the "deaf, dumb and blind kid" all the more poignant.

I thought it was amazing, although I have to say the two friends I went with almost left at the interval because it was such a barrage on all your senses but they were glad they stayed till the end.
.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I think my mum still has the album. Must play it when I'm next down there.