Friday 6 January 2017

The ties between charities......


Yesterday was our first of the year visit to Acorn Villages for crafting and lunch. As I've mentioned before it's mainly a residential community for adults with learning disabilities and totally funded by charitable donations and they also raise funds by selling hand crafted objects the residents have made.

Our neighbour-friendsP&A and their church are also very involved in another charity in Romania and taking lorry loads of goods out to them. Recently they were given a huge amount of brand new school ties which unfortunately would be of no use to the orphanages or very poor in Romania.

How lucky they mentioned it to me, just in idle conversation. Well as a crafter I knew there were lots of possibilities and we all loved the idea of passing on a charitable donation straight on to another charity that could make good use of them and hopefully make some money too. I had about 40 here of three different patterns.

So far I made two prototype sample cases, for specs or mobile phone and a pen or scissors etc.


 I took them yesterday to show the other crafters and staff. The member of staff thought they were definitely easy enough for some of the adults there to make. The other crafters all loved the idea and a few came up with lots of different ideas and said they can make for Acorn to sell or make for themselves and make a donation to Acorn instead. As they are bright colours we've decided to keep all scraps too for making rag-rugs and rag-wreaths for next Christmas.

So I've now told P&A I can make use of them all, so think I've some huge boxes of ties coming my way.
.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Ingenious use of extremely bright ties. School ties? Which schools? I've never seen any like that before!

MumB / @mumbosh said...

I have no idea which schools, or even if they are schools, I thought they were as two of the colours were self clip on type. I'm assuming whichever schools had them have changed their uniform hence such a huge stock of brand new ties no longer needed.

Michelle said...

I am more noting the colours. They are quite distinctive! Schools around here seem to be duller - I must live in a very muted part of the country.

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Yes I agree, nothing that bright round this way either. I've goggled public/private school ties and some of them are loud but none as loud as these hahaha. School for clowns maybe?

Michelle said...

That must be it.


Love that you goggled. Thats what I did when I saw the colours!

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Hahahaha freudian slip!