Sunday 28 December 2014

Chef-ing the leftovers.....


Like almost everyone else at Christmas we buy far too much food and cook far too much food just in case friends and neighbours drop in and the Christmas dinner would just be a roast without all the trimmings and extra courses.

So what about afterwards? We wouldn't actually mind eating leftovers for days on end but I have a large family and we have a family day here each year a few days after main event where everyone contributes to the buffet table and that's a lot of leftovers. This year Christmas day dinner was for seven and although family day saw the fewest number (for various reasons) so just 27 people and although some are children there were 9 families or couples all bringing food. I tried to get them to take lots of leftovers home but we were still left with lots.

So now the fridge and cake tins are full but so is the freezer.

Boxing day was the best ever bubble and squeak patties with cold turkey for our dinner.

I stripped the turkey carcass into two boxes of white meat sliced to thaw for sandwiches and made up four boxes of diced up turkey with the remains of the stuffing, carrots and sprouts (my boxes are mainly Chinese takeaway size). These boxes are labelled "thaw, mix, add gravy and top with mash" so I don't forget,  each one plenty to make a meal for two.

The last of the vegetable soup,  which had been our starter, is frozen into two single portions although the home made croutons that went with it was a breakfast for the birds.

Christmas eve I'd cooked a ham joint for that night and two bean loaves for the veggy option.  Now the ham is sliced, boxed and frozen and the rest of the bean loaves cut into portions, individually wrapped and frozen.

I'd boiled up all the giblets for gravy stock and afterwards the liver, heart, meat from the neck and all the onions were blitzed to make a pate (but it definitely isn't thick enough so if you know how I should improve the consistency please let me know).

Two large fresh French sticks are now a dozen small garlic and herb slices frozen and about 16 individual pizza style things topped with the leftover onion and tomatoes salad I'd made covered with cheese, wrapped and frozen too.

E had made us a tray of brownies, as our Christmas present, that are really yummy, but with so much cake brought for the buffet I didn't want the brownies to be forgotten or not truly appreciated so I've frozen half the trayfull for when we are cakeless.

The fridge is still full, and we have a big fridge, but I'm sure we'll get through it without too much wasted. Tonight we'll use up the last of the pigs in blankets and cocktail sausages with eggs, beans and other stuff to make a bit of an all day breakfast (hubby's favourite sort of dinner).

And you'll be pleased to know that the mountain of chocolate bought for us is out of sight and should last us a very long time if we keep forgetting about it.

As yet uneaten and proudly on display is my "ginger bread ruin" that O made as my present.

So for now I'll happily avoid the kitchen and new years eve is already decided as sharing Chinese takeaway with friendsP&A next door.
.


No comments: