Saturday 19 November 2022

Rollneck Sweater Weather......

 
Opened the curtains to lots of sparkly webs, photos never quite capture their magic.


One of the properties that backs onto our garden was bought at the beginning of the year and has had lots of work done building an extension and obviously lots inside too. Meanwhile the broken fence has been getting worse and Hubby has been wedging bits inside to ensure it's dog proof. 
Without warning a panel slid out and a man appeared, checked with Hubby it was OK for them to replace it and within an hour the old became new. Hubby now needs to make them as dark as the rest of ours. 

Hubby spent two days helping Daughter decorate her hall stairs and landing. I spent one of those days meeting friendM for lunch. Always lovely spending time just the two of us, however just as we'd started dessert her sister phoned to say they were in the area so they called into the hotel and ordered some bar food and when we left the restaurant area we joined them in the bar. 

I'd read on Facebook someone always soaks a banana skin overnight and uses that water for her house plants which are so much healthier for it. Comments underneath showed so many others doing the same. Why had I never heard of that before? So here we go!

I needed to shorten a door curtain and was really pleased that I already had thread that was a good colour match. So good infact that I moved chairs twice to get into the best light or I kept losing sight or where I'd been and where I needed to go hahaha. 

I've had to admit defeat. I try so hard to be sustainable and planet friendly with purchases, upcycling and reusing etc, however I've had to give up with crisp packets. We can't recycle them locally. About three years ago I discovered The Iron Man project where they iron them together to create waterproof blankets for the homeless and for the refugee camps. What a great idea. After a lot of searching I managed to find an address to post mine to after I'd washed them and opened each one to lay flat. At the end of last year they said to stop sending for a while as their storage was overflowing and they were moving it all to somewhere else. They've never published a new address. There is lots of talk of various drop off collection points but never a list of where they are. Plus postage has gone up so much. So for now I've given up and all the ones I'd saved, washed and were ready to go have hit the bin!!!

Hubby needed to pop into town so I went too hoping to get some Christmas prezzies. It was quite depressing to see how many shops have gone and the units are empty. I need to browse for inspiration but that's not so easy now. 

On a happier note we met with friendsL&K for a pub meal in Hatfield Peverel which is about half way between our homes. So lovely having a very long awaited catchup. 

Hope you have a good week. Wrap up warm.
.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I've understood the banana skin thing to be an internet myth as there is no scientific basis or study that corroborates the idea. You could have identical plants that you don't put the infusion on to be control plants. That would be interesting.

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Oh it probably is a myth however I did look around before I just accepted it and found lots more articles like this
https://www.homesandgardens.com/advice/banana-peels-as-fertilizer
Than those that said it was no better than bought fertiliser (which we don't buy anyway).
My thinking is it can't harm the plants and its free.