Saturday 4 September 2021

Summer Gone and Autumn Here.......

 
.... with the pyracantha and rowan tree full of berries ready for our hungry winter birds.


We took a well earned break from all the cleaning and sorting to visit Son and fiancé on Sunday and while we were there Hubby and son finished building and glazing their new greenhouse. 

Monday started quite drizzly so nobody came out for coffee morning, although a few neighbours kept popping out to check. An hour later than normal when it looked dry we knocked on doors to rally the gang and gave it another go. Even though it did start to faintly drizzle again we put up with it for about 45 minutes. 

Hubby has now done a couple more coats of emulsion and the toilet is now blue (the yellow on the back wall will be boxed in and saved him having to be a contortionist).
We've also chosen our preferred worktop and now waiting for Ipswich Plastics to let us know if it's available as they don't have any in stock. 

As you can see the tomatoes that I planted never came to much. The one plant fruiting is so scrawny hahaha
However, there are about four plants we never planted, so must have been a gift from the birds perhaps, and although they are right behind the box that houses the pond pump and gets little direct sunshine, they are thick and healthy with green tomatoes in the dark at the bottom and more flowers near the top! 
The fig tree is the biggest it's ever been and so full of figs, however they are all small, not growing at all (you'll have to zoom right in to see them). Very odd! Maybe I'm still a bit early, I'll keep checking. 

Ipswich Plastics let us know that they couldn't supply that worktop for another two to three weeks. Hubby went online and spent a very long time searching and did manage to find the same worktop which was delivered today (Friday).

Daughter and Co are all quizzed out now so Hubby and I do it alone and definitely get lower scores, but still fun, still keeps the brain active, still a break from TV and still gives the week a bit of a structure, so we'll keep going for as long as it's fun. 

That's all my news for another week and nothing planned for today so guess I can't put off cleaning the kitchen and dining room floor any longer, then at least all the downstairs is done. 

Have a good week and stay safe.
.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

The tomato plants I was given haven't done anything much. I think they should have gone in the back garden, it does get more sun there. There are some flowers but the fruit won't develop enough now.

The back garden looks very different now. Heavy decision made on Friday when I decided I had to join Nigel Slater and many others in removing all the box hedging from the back garden as I lost the battle with the Buxus Caterpillar..

C&I planted it many years ago. She was such a little C and such a good helper! She thinks it was 18 years ago as she also remembers being kicked out of her pushchair so I could put all the plants in :-). Priorities priorities :-D. (We bought them at Columbia Road market when visiting my sister).

So Saturday first thing we all 3 went out and grubbed them up. 14 metres of low hedging and a topiary chicken. M then took them all to the tip. I couldn't quite bear to do that myself. Felt a bit better once the deed had been done but still, not a joyous day.

Last year I hand picked the caterpillars but it is so labour intensive and this year I haven't been able to/feel inclined to put that same effort in.

I'm currently processing some newly bought linen to make lining for coats. We are doing (all things being equal) Michaelmas at Kentwell later this month and C&I need warmer layers. Well, I thought we might until these past few hot days! But the lint! My goodness. Never had linen like it. I've put through the washer and dryer 3 times to reduce it. House looks like the inside of a snow globe. Not the same as your whole house clean up though.

Xx

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Oh I understand your trauma when your hedging has such history, but gardens are for pleasure not constant battles with caterpillars. What's going in their place?
Good luck staying on top of the linen lint :)

Michelle said...

I'm not making any decision on what's going in their place until the spring. At Wisley I know they are doing trials with alternative hedging plants but I may well do a huge rethink of the whole space. A winter project :-).