Sunday 8 April 2018

My way (#14)....



Over the years I seem to have developed some very definite ways of doing things and usually it's for a very good reason, so I thought I'd share. 

Only just realised you might find this useful, though I've done it all my adult cooking life, because I've a very cautious respect for graters!

Soft objects like cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc can be grated slowly but for hard veg you need to get into a firm rhythm and before you know it they're done. So I stick a fork right near the veg end and hang onto the handle not the veg so my fingers don't get too close to the evil useful sharp bits.
Obviously I'd normally be holding onto the grater as well as the fork but I was also taking the photo 😉

What's your way?
.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

We use the food processor! Very easy and finger safe :-). If grating just a couple then the box grater is used but we don't grate to the end - just leave the top on give more holding length and then eat the last chunk.

The mandolin is most dangerous. We (Marcus) is very careful with ours and always uses the safety guard. We bought mum some 'chainmail' safety gloves when she asked for a mandolin for Christmas a few years ago and she did manage to slice into the glove once - but her hand was spared :-). She got a replacement glove straightaway!

MumB / @mumbosh said...

I cringe even when I see them using the mandolin on tv cookery.