Saturday, 18 June 2016

Wales Holiday, 11-18 June 2016.......

All packed and ready Saturday morning, R and O should have gone to their drama class all morning but it was cancelled so we set off a bit earlier than planned. Both Daughter and Hubby were recovering from colds. No traffic problems and we arrived in Wiltshire in good time. This is where Son and his fiancé live and we were en route a bit more than half our total journey to south Wales so a great place to stop and also as R and E were seeing their dad for the weekend it was an easy place for a people swap as their other grandparents were coming up from Dorset to collect them......are you keeping up with all this?

Son and fiancĂ© made us all very welcome of course. Their cottage is very small and they laughed at this being the most people they've had in their home at once. They have a little dog and even invited the other grandparents in for tea along with their dog so she wasn't left in the car. The girls, their grandparents and their dog went off and a bit later Daughter, O, Hubby and I left having been well fed and even came away with food for later  :-)

We reached our holiday cottage in Llansteffan, Carmarthenshire, Wales about 8pm and was met there by the owner who showed us around. By the time we'd cooked and eaten the pizzas Son gave us, and unpacked the car it was time for O to go to bed and actually we followed up soon after.

Sunday started too early for Hubby still full of cold, and O joined him so they both had breakfast long before Daughter and I came down. Definitely no rush as it was raining quite hard. As soon as it eased up we went out for a walk, found the local shops and onto a wonderful beach just minutes away. Loving the location!

We found the biggest barrel jellyfish any of us had ever seen, and there were lots and lots of them over the sand

Lunch on the beach, we each had something and chips from the kiosk. Back home for a cuppa then Daughter drove off to collect R and E while Hubby, O and I watched tv had some dinner then due to the lack of books here O and I told made-up stories for bedtime. After they got back and a quick snack Daughter and the girls went out for a late night walk to the beach and didn't come back until it was really dark.

Monday and another slow start as another wet grey day. Out by about 10:30am and off to see the caves and dinosaurs

Unfortunately my aches and pains got the better of me, so as I'd done the first major cave before lunch I stayed in the cafe with my book while the others went off to do the rest. Even that had its consolation as I'd noticed a young mum struggling with a baby over her shoulder while trying to undress a toddler, so I offered a helping hand and she immediately thrust the baby on me saying I was a life saver, the toddler had had a major drink spillage incident just as her husband had gone off to the toilets, so I enjoyed bonus baby cuddles! Supermarket stop on the way back and then an evening of games and the Captain America film.

Tuesday and I stayed home in the morning while they did the steep walk up to the castle (still raining this morning too). R didn't go with either deciding that her bed was far more inviting. Here are a few of the photos Daughter took

When they came back we all had lunch and while we were deciding what to do for the afternoon it rained and rained, so decision made we stayed in. Actually Daughter and E went out as E wanted some art materials. Dinner tonight was in the local pub and very nice it was too.

Wednesday was a busy day as we went to The National Botanic Gardens of Wales and it rained and rained and rained so lots of running between buildings. R and O couldn't resist the straw maze solving the puzzle then jumping over 
Plenty to see inside the tropical dome too 

We came back and threw pizzas in the oven for dinner and it suddenly got really sunny and warm so after eating out in the garden we took a walk to the beach and while we went for a walk Daughter and E made shell art

Thursday was a bit of a longer drive to Aberdulais Falls and tin mine museum. It's quite compact but really interesting. 

Then it was into Swansea for a mooch around the shops (guess what, still raining). We came back with large dinner of Chinese and Indian ready meals plus vegetarian oven things and ready to bake tear-n-share garlic bread from Tesco which is just when the microwave decided to stop working. Daughter then did an amazing jiggling around to get it all through the oven and onto the table.

Friday we woke to a lovely sunny dry morning but as we'd had two busy days we decided to stay local and let the girls have a lie in. After a brunch/lunch to use up as much food as we could it was time to go out.  R has now got the head cold Hubby has just got over so she decided to stay in today anyway so without her we all set off for the beach, although I didn't get very far before realising my knees were too painful for me to ignore so I turned back insisting that Hubby, Daughter, E and O go on. Tonight's dinner was a bbq in the garden, still so lovely and warm! 

Saturday and it was all up, packed and ready to leave by 9:30am and as luck would have it a dry day, which actually we were pleased about for Daughter driving all that way home. We made just one comfort break at a motorway services and bought food to eat in the car. Home about 3pm!


Michelle said...

I'm pretty sure we went to those gardens when C was a toddler - I thought it had closed so I am pleased to see its still going. It was a bit disappointing when we went - too new. I remember liking the walled garden.

Lots of rain here this week too. Weekend has been nice though.

Sorry you have been limited a bit due to pain :-(.

MumB / @mumbosh said...

There were a lot more gardens we never saw because of the weather but loved what we did see. And typically my knees have behaved quite well today for three loads of washing, some catchup housework and a little gardening!