Saturday 2 September 2023

All About The Birthdays........

 
My birthday flowers finally looked too sad to keep but two little sprays I really wanted to keep. I thought they were a type of tea rose but the stem is thornless and the leaves looked wrong, research revealed they are Texas Bluebells. I found out it would need rooting hormone powder (I don't have) to propagate, I also found out aloe vera gel (I do have) makes a good substitute. Thank you Google. 
Compost from our hot bin make these free plants, if they survive. Fingers crossed. 

12 days since the figs were picked and then put in a jar in the fridge and they came out much the same as when they went in WOW. Some had tiny white spots but that just wiped off. Actually I think they may have lost a little of their sweetness. 
 I would have left them longer as a first time experiment but we are going away and if I can't check them I might have lost them all and that would have been a shame. 


I've known friendL since we were at school and youth club together from age 11. Also born the same year as me so also celebrating her 70th. Together with other close friends and family we were invited to
Banyers House a lovely pub/ restaurant/hotel.
We gathered there Sunday afternoon and all watched as all her cards and presents were being opened. 
She loved ours and even wanted to wear the bow that came off our large bag. Part of the gift that I couldn't tell you about before was a Big Birthday Survival Kit, I'd included into a box things like Tissues=To wipe away any embarrassments, Camomile Tea bags=To help you relax after partying, Stapler Rubber Bands and Paper clip=To help you hold things together now...... you get the idea, I think there were 14 labels needed to be printed and attached to each thing. 
In secret with her husband and daughter the whole group of us provided photographs that her daughter collated into a memory book. 
Then everyone went to their rooms to get ready for dinner (except Hubby and me as we'd arrived ready 😉 ).
We carried on at the table till very late then all headed off to our rooms. We had actually booked all the hotel's rooms bar one. 
Then all down to breakfast together. FriendL brought her balloons to breakfast too. 

We had had a lovely celebration with this group for friendL but Hubby and I were not going home. Leaving Hertfordshire and heading towards our next venue we made a detour to Wroxham on the Norfolk Broads to look at the boats. That's a banana and caramel ice cream mmmmm.

Then we drove on to Gunton Hall holiday village it's aWarners holiday village for adults only. My usual group of six wanted this mini holiday to help celebrate my big birthday (belated as friendM had been away).
Our home for two nights were chalets 1, 2 and 3 in Sycamore block. 
We all arrived and gathered outside, some having a cuppa and some heading straight for a glass or two. 
Three course dinner and breakfast were included and all buffet style. Lots of choices so we were all well fed. 
There was lots of activities on during the day, but the weather was good and the grounds were lovely so we had a good walk round, the boys played pool, we all had tea and coffee on the terrace by the swimming pool and generally chilled out.   
One afternoon and both evenings after dinner we enjoyed the live entertainment. 
Apart from one little domestic (not us) a lovely time had by all. We may look at other Warner Hotels in the future. 

Home and it's full on packing as we are off early next Tuesday morning, so keeping fingers crossed cars, roads and airport etc all behave and you'll have something worth reading next week.
.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

What a lot of happy in this post! I wonder I the figs don't deteriorate too much because of the lack of oxygen and they produce gases to preserve in the sealed jar? would it be the same in a sealed plastic container?

Loved your pressie to your friend. For friends wedding gift they had on the list a filing cabinet so I filled it with alphabetical folders with a gift for each letter. They loved it :-)

MumB / @mumbosh said...

Great when the receiver appreciates the love and thought that's gone into our gifts.